Suozzi Agrees To 3 Special Election Debates
December 26, 2023
By: Jerry Barmash
GLEN COVE, NY — As the New Year approaches, voters in the 3rd Congressional District will choose the replacement for George Santos. Democrat Tom Suozzi has accepted invitations for three televised debates.
The special election is on Feb. 13.
No word on whether Mazi Melesa Pilip, the Republican candidate, is willing to participate in any of the debates.
Dates have not been decided for the debates on WABC and WNBC. Suozzi said on X Tuesday afternoon that he also accepted a NY1/WNYC debate for Jan. 25.
“Now more than ever, it’s vital that the people of Nassau and Queens understand who they are sending to Congress, what they believe, and how they will approach the big problems facing our country,” Suozzi campaign advisor Kim Devlin said. “Tom has demonstrated time and again that he is someone who will put aside politics and work with Democrats and Republicans to get things done. He’s looking forward to discussing his record and his plan to restore sanity to Washington, D.C., in at least two televised debates. It is our hope that his opponent will commit to doing the same.”
Suozzi is seeking to win back his seat in Congress previously held by Santos, who was expelled on Dec. 1.
Pilip, a registered Democrat, is a Nassau County Legislator from Great Neck.
“He’s looking forward to discussing his record and his plan to restore sanity to Washington, D.C., in at least two televised debates,” Devlin said. “It is our hope that his opponent will commit to doing the same.”